becoming Mr. Krabs

        Something about living on my own and learning how to budget the P300 my mom's allowing me per day is turning me into a real cheapskate. This week, I started keeping track of my expenses for my meals. I wrote them all down in this purple notebook my sister had gotten me for my birthday, and ever since then, I've been obsessed with figuring out how to cut back.

         I think that being able to actually see those figures written down on paper like that instead of mentally keeping track of them is what's suppressing my impulsive tendencies. Sudden decisions to order dessert, or last-minute detours to Rustan's Supermarket to pick up cookies or cold juice - such was my life before the Purple Notebook.

There's my magic little notebook. This picture was taken in Cagayan, the night before I moved to Manila.
           Today, I learned when NOT to be thrifty. It was raining buckets here, you see, and because of that, my Smart Bro connection wasn't working AT ALL. And I badly needed to use the Internet for Lit 13 and Chem 8 purposes (also, my best friend Janine left a comment on my picture that I wasn't able to view). So I decided to go somewhere in Katipunan and mooch off some fastfood's Wi-Fi.

          My first choice was Bo's Coffee, because it's right across the dorm, and I didn't want to have to walk all the way to McDonald's in the pouring rain. However, my previous experience in Bo's told me that they have this log-in system where one purchase gives you only ONE HOUR of Wi-Fi access. So if I wanted to waste the afternoon there, I'd have to keep going back for, like... *counts on fingers* FOUR cups of coffee, or FOUR snacks. And Bo's doesn't come cheap. I didn't want to blow my whole budget on that.

        I decided on McDonald's, which is a seven or ten-minute walk from my dorm. Upon stepping out of the Dormitoryana lobby, however, I found out that not only was it raining buckets, it was also raining cats and dogs, raining men, raining candy drops and gum drops. Bottom line: It was raining HARD.

        Even as I stood there underneath my umbrella, my bag was getting soaked, and water was coming into my most trusted pair of shoes. I thought about taking a tricycle to McDo to spare myself from the torrential downpour. But, then again... Why spend twenty-five pesos on a measly trike ride, when I could walk the distance myself?

       Letting my thriftiness get the best of me, I walked.

       And now, here I am in Mushroomburger, which is closer to my dorm than McDonald's, eating this thing they call Chinese halo-halo and inconspicuously trying to squish all the water out of my shoes. My pants are soaked, and so is my bag (well, at least the side that I didn't have pressed against me), and my umbrella turned inside-out twice.

      Lessons learned:

  1. In Manila, one good umbrella goes a long way.
  2. If it's raining men, cats and dogs, candy drops and gum drops, it's better to spend P25 on a trike than risk hypothermia.
  3. Chinese halo-halo is goooooood eatin'.



      

Comments

  1. Uh hey its me anonymous again, soOo u use smart bro and not dormitoryana net? Plus its only 15 pesos to mushroom burger from ur place(or anywer in katipunan), and 25 if ur going into ateneo or out of ateneo. Im guessing they plus u by 10 cos they need to buy the sticker to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anonymous! Yeah, I use Smart Bro. It's a plan. P999 per month, I think! Dormitoryana net (cleverly named "Dorminet") is fast, but it's unreliable. It's hot and it's cold. It's yes and it's no. It's in and it's -

    Yeah forget it.

    P15 pesos ba? .___. That means I paid P10 more than I should've for my last trike ride in Katipunan! Curse you, trike drivers, for taking advantage of us probinsyanas' ignorance of trike fares!

    Thanks for the info, Anonymous. You seem to know a lot about Katipunan and Ateneo /:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you just need an umbrella... An umbrella is useless in my case. I need to ride a cab (worth 140 pesos) if its raining

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep 15 pesos and I hate mushroom burger burgers... what bout u? Have u tried?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, i think u myt learn hu i am n the next week... but that myt not happen, if it does do u want me to introduce myself? or remain anonymous?:O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karlo: Yeah, that sucks. But you have a sundo too, right? Like that time after Refreshie and it was raining like hell :))

    Anonymous: I don't HATE it. It doesn't taste bad naman. Their burgers are just waaaay overpriced. But the halo-halo was good ;)

    And, GASP! This is happening too fast :O Hahaha just kidding. I'm not gonna award you with the relaxation that comes from NOT making this decision. It's your choice, dude/ette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but whether you choose to introduce yourself or not, I really appreciate you dropping by and reading my blog! It makes me smile every time :D (sobrang cheesy!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aimee, the trike costs only P15 so long as you're not going across the highway. :))

    It took me three years and two sneakers to get this to my head: Go for flipflops and avoid wearing pants when the weather is bad.

    I actually have friends who keep a pair of flipflops in their bags just in case the weather turns bad towards the progression of the day. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it rains like hell.. if its normal(still strong) rain... I commute, unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jean: Flipflops? But I don't want my feet to get wet D: I'd rather sacrifice my sneakers. I'm a real germaphobe kasi :))

    Karlo: I see :)) Phew. Hirap nun. Taxis in the rain - imagine all the traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sometimes, its more cost effective (i.e., cheaper) to spend more rather than less. If u saved on the trike fare but ruined your shoes, you'd have to spend more buying new shoes! (but then again, think of the fun you'd have, shopping!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for caring :">

Popular posts from this blog

random sad pictures of the day, and a long back story

a home on a hill