OH YEAH!!! At long last, I've finally gotten an A on something: an essay for Filipino! I now get this nice medal stamped on my paper. Ahh, it fills me with pride.
Hahaha! I'm surprised you still have time to check this blog, what with all the reminiscing you've been doing lately! Haha. Thanks dad! I'm hoping for a nice, big, fat juicy A on tomorrow's Chemistry exam! \m/
After working in public health for most of my professional life - first as a Doctor to the Barrio, then in the DOH Central Office, then as a researcher - I've decided it's time to enter residency. Scrubs these days are expensive AF. Did not buy. For the uninitiated, residency is that special time in every specialist doctor's life where you work and train in a hospital for 3 to 5 years to become a specialist in something - in my case, Psychiatry. For the initiated, this is 3 to 5 years of being an overworked, underpaid zombie. My friends and family know I've agonized about this decision for a long time now. I already applied to a Psychiatry program last year, but decided not to push through to stay in the DOH. Last December I decided to quit DOH anyway and take what eventually became a "slow year." I was lucky enough to be offered a few research and consulting gigs, and to some extent, I was able to do things on my own terms. For the first time ever I was 100...
I just finished my final two weeks of pre-residency at PGH, or the Philippine General Hospital. Along with my 8 batchmates in residency, we spent the past two weeks figuring out the work commute, preparing and giving lectures to each other, shadowing the more senior residents, seeing patients at the Outpatient Department (OPD) and Emergency Room (ER), and of course, practicing for the first years' Christmas party dance. Yep, that’s me. You're probably wondering how I got here. Well it all started when… 1. Storm between calms The day immediately before returning to PGH was November 30, the day of the Baha sa Luneta 2.0 protests. We had a 3,000-strong contingent, and more people would have showed up if not for the police. Having learned from their mistakes during the September 21 rally, the police showed up in full force. They messed up the program and caused immense delays. Still, the program pushed on. There was singing, dancing, and a few speeches. At around 10 AM, ...
So this was my plan. It was so clear to me back then: If I don't pass the UPCAT, I'm going to XU. As for my choice of course, it was a toss-up between Computer Science and Biology. For me, getting to that point where I had only two courses to choose from was already a big accomplishment, considering that my previous list of course choices was anything but short. I had so many plans: take Political Science, proceed to Law and become a lawyer. Take something in communications like Journalism or MassCom and work in the advertising biz. I even considered going to Bigfoot Studios in Cebu and taking up Filmography! Filmography!!! My parents played a big role in my indecision. Being the awesome people that they are, they told me that they'd support me whichever school I went to, whichever course I decided to pick. There was no one around to tell me, "No you can't study in Manila," or, "You have no future in that course." In fact, not one little chuckle ...
Congrats, dear!!! Reminds me of how it felt to get an A. (But then again, i got so many, i forgot how it felt NOT to get an A) mwehehehe!
ReplyDeleteJoke!
ReplyDeleteHahaha! I'm surprised you still have time to check this blog, what with all the reminiscing you've been doing lately! Haha. Thanks dad! I'm hoping for a nice, big, fat juicy A on tomorrow's Chemistry exam! \m/
ReplyDeletewow! well done, Bea! stay focused always. hope you are enjoying your stay there in Manila xxx
ReplyDeleteAwww thank you Auntie Rach! Yeah, I'll do my best! Thanks for dropping by :)
ReplyDeleteAppease me again write another post! XD Itll make up for the My Chemical Romance misunderstanding :D
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! You are truly an inspiration, Polite and Kind Anonymous commenter.
ReplyDeletehi aimee! I'm sorry I only read this now. :)) but I just had an philosophical eureka moment about the history repeating itself thing.
ReplyDeleteI think it means that we can only stand and watch history repeat itself and we can do nothing about it. :)) yun lang! *bow*
ay wait, fail. I commented on the wrong post. =))
ReplyDeletehey cheryl :)) yeah, i was wondering what the connection was between history and this :))
ReplyDeletepero, hey! awesome point! you just had an epiphany B-)