Working 8 to 5

I need advice. 

Some months ago, I got "reassigned" to one of my city's vaccination posts, where I work as a vaccination doctor. My main job there is to handle all sorts of medical concerns related to vaccination, like when someone's blood pressure is too high before getting jabbed, or when someone has a medical condition that needs further assessment. 

But in between all those things, I mainly help the screeners. Screeners are what we call the nurses who interview patients to find out if they're medically fit for vaccination. I'm not really required to do it, since there are other people hired to do that specific job. But I do it anyway because sometimes there are just too many patients coming in, and they need my help. 

Screening is easy. You just ask the same questions over and over again.

Is this your first time getting vaccinated? How are you feeling today? Do you have any allergies? Do you have any underlying medical conditions? Were you recently a close contact of someone with Covid? Did you recently test positive for Covid? Are you pregnant?

It takes virtually no brain work. But it takes a lot of voicework. I'm saying these things over and over in a noisy room, surrounded by other screeners who are also struggling to make themselves heard. It strains my voice. And with every patient who says, "Ha?" because they can't hear me, I die a little inside because it's literally painful to speak any louder. 

But there's something truly... soul-crushing about the work. It's routine. Repetitive. Boring. It's work that could easily be eliminated by having patients just fill out questionnaires themselves. 

And it's my life for the next year or so, until we achieve herd immunity. And probably even beyond that.

It's bringing me down because I feel like I'm not using my skills to their fullest potential. I'm a creative thinker, a problem-solver, a planner. I had some big ideas for public health projects I wanted to implement during my time as a Doctor to the Barrio. I'm usually spirited, enthusiastic, eager to work. I wanted to spend a lot of time doing field work, going into the farthest sitios, taking care of the poorest of the poor. 


But ever since I got assigned to the vacc post, all that creativity, energy, and enthusiasm just... died. Screening work is essentially just reading out a list to someone else, over and over until the work is done. There's no creativity in that. I tried asking my boss to be reassign me back to my health center, but she denied my request, saying that the vaccination post needs me.

I know that this work is essential to getting the world to how it was. But there's already one other regular doctor at the vacc post, and zero doctors in our health centers doing free primary care clinics. When patients need consults, they have to go directly to the hospital now, or to a private doctor, because Ysa (my co-DTTB, also in a vacc post now) and I are not around. 

So anyway, that's my story. I spend most of my days just feeling hollow and empty, going through the motions, asking literally the same questions every day, over and over. I feel somehow flattened, like balloon with no air, a virus with no spikes. I'm living for the after-work hours and the weekends, but then Monday comes and I find it so hard to get out of bed.

Is this.... what normal, adult life is? Going through the motions, feeling bored at work, stifling one's joy and spirit in the name of making a living? At the age of 28, this is technically my first 8-to-5 job, and I wonder if all this inner turmoil is just me learning to adjust to this adult world. Is it normal to feel this way? To always feel hollow and dead inside? Or am I just clinically depressed now? 

Help. I need advice. 

Comments

  1. Hi Ate Aimee, I've been following your blog since your Health Sci years and this is the first time I've commented.

    Based on my experience (I'm not an expert), I felt the same way you did when I was working a job I didn't like and was overqualified for. My first job after Ateneo was as a call center agent here in the US. I felt really depressed and sad because I knew I was too smart, detail-oriented, and creative for my current position. I literally cried in front my family often and wouldn't open my fb since I was jealous of my friends who were going through med school while I felt stuck in an 8-to-5 job that I hated. I felt like my life was on pause while my friends continued living.

    That lasted for a year until I decided I wanted to pursue nursing so I started taking classes again while working. I only stayed in that job for a year until I was promoted and then left the company to work in a doctor's office. I'm now in nursing school and I'm enjoying both my new part-time job in the clinic while being a full-time student.

    This is just my opinion ate Aimee but maybe you can look for things you can do while you are not expending a lot of brain energy in your work. Like maybe take up a hobby during the weekend or after work. Hiking was my respite when I was working that soul crushing job.

    You can also start planning on what you want to do after the 1 year contract is over. Maybe you can make a project proposal for that public health project you've been developing or something. Planning my nursing school journey was one of the things that kept me sane after a long day of being shouted at by angry callers looking for their pain medicine.

    You can do it ate Aimee! This loneliness is temporary. I look back during that time in my life and I couldn't have imagined back then that I would be as happy as I am now. Sabi nga nila, hindi ka bibigyan ni God ng pagsubok na hindi mo kakayanin.

    Good luck ate Aimee or Dr. Aimee! I'm praying for you all the way here in the US :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My gosh what a pleasant surprise to get a comment from a long-time reader. Thanks anon, reading this made my day. I can imagine how soul-sucking it can be to work in a call center where customers are nasty and don't treat you like a human. Glad to know you're in a happier place now :) as for me, I've been getting into chess a lot and I've even started taking a class, which I'll post about soon hehe. good luck with your nursing studies! Study well because the world needs you ☺️

      Delete
  2. Hi, Aims! Just here to say that vax screening sucks and monitoring sucks even more. 😂 I just wish that a less labor-intensive system was in place so that we won’t have to sacrifice our voices and energies for a repetitive task. Although there would be times where a true emergency can rise up, the repetition really sucks the soul out of you. I hope with these problems, we can flex our creative minds and try to think of systemic solutions, which is definitely challenging. Take care, Aims! Rest if you have time and laban lungs (both figuratively and literally).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! OMG I just saw this comment now! Thanks for this, I feel validated. It's soul-crushing work no but nobody seems to really talk about it, kaya THANK YOU! I hope you're doing good over there sa States. Dapat pagbalik mo may accent ka na ha. Haha. Laban lungs!!!

      Delete
  3. Naaaaaah, it is normal. Just like you said, you are a creative thinker, be creative, stay creative. It becomes monotonous if you let it get to your system.

    "Mind over matter. If you don't mind it, it doesn't matter."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for caring :">

Popular posts from this blog

random sad pictures of the day, and a long back story

becoming Mr. Krabs

a home on a hill